CFI—Certified to be the Elite
A Certified Forensic Interviewer (CFI) is documented to be at the top of the field. You can become part of this exclusive fraternity through the resources of the IAI.
A CFI is a professional with the expertise to conduct a variety of investigative interviews with victims, witnesses, suspects or other sources to determine the facts regarding suspicions, allegations or specific incidents in either public or private sector settings.
“Higher levels of professionalism will go a long way to advancing and improving this incredibly important part of our jobs,”
—Kirk Lonbom, CFI Assistant Deputy Director, Illinois State Police.
CFI will help interviewers gain and test the skills and knowledge necessary to conduct a variety of investigative interviews with an understanding of the legal issues and with high levels of proficiency in the following:
- Interview Preparation
- Behavioral Analysis
- Accusatory and Non-Accusatory Interviewing
- Documentation and Presentation of Findings
The objective of this certification program is to create comprehensive, universally accepted professional standards combined with an objective measure of an interviewer’s knowledge of those standards.
“In a field where the majority consider themselves experts, it is assuring to know that IAI filters through the multitudes and brings the industry’s true professionals to light. The CFI designation is a must-have now, in preparation for the challenges of tomorrow.”
—Hector Erazo, CFI, PI a Sr. AP Investigator, Target Corporation
CFI Study Materials
Exam Study Options
Candidates sitting for the CFI examination may prepare for the test in several ways.
- The candidate may elect to sit for the examination using his personal experience and knowledge as the basis for preparation. IAI strongly recommends the candidate reviews reference materials and not simply rely on personal experience and knowledge.
- The candidate may choose to use the Wicklander-Zulawski & Associates, Inc. Certified Forensic Interviewer Review Program. The computer-based review program covers all the sections and tasks identified as being necessary to be a CFI by the national survey. The printable text sections provide the candidate the information necessary to successfully complete the tasks listed under each of the separate sections in the content outline. There is an online self-test at the conclusion of each module, so the candidate can assess his understanding of the material. The questions are linked back to the pertinent text material so they may be easily reviewed and the correct response to the question understood. The CFI Prep course is active for 6 months. Course re-activation costs $200. To re-activate, contact 800-222-7789 Ext. 100. Click here to purchase the program.
- The candidate may elect to attend a CFI Preparatory Seminar designed to assist individuals in preparing for the examination.
- The candidate may prepare by reading and studying the textbooks used to prepare the examination .